Reporting and recording accidents and injuries are vital tasks in hazard control and accident prevention. The Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 requires that employers keep a record of all work-related injuries, illnesses, and dangerous occurrences.
Health and safety reporting mechanisms are systems put in place to ensure that issues are brought to the attention of an appropriate person, that information is properly recorded to meet legislative requirements and to assist in future health and safety management.
Mechanisms in place in your organisation could include:
- Incident reporting procedure
- Hazard reports or maintenance requests
- Reporting absences or taking leave
- Health and safety officer or representatives
- Fire and evacuation officers
- Grievance procedure
- Staff meetings.