To be able to effectively monitor the challenging behaviours of clients, you as a worker need to equip yourself with the following skills:
- Knowledge of the range and diversity of challenging behaviours that clients may exhibit.
- Awareness of how you respond personally in confrontational, controversial and conflict situations.
- Knowledge of some of the early warning signs that may precede the escalation of a client’s challenging behaviour, and the ability to assess those behaviours through formal and informal monitoring methods.
- Ability to accurately and objectively document the monitoring process.
- Understanding of your organisation’s policies and procedures regarding risk management for the prevention and control of aggressive or challenging behaviours.
- Knowledge of some of the methods to diffuse or prevent the escalation of a client’s challenging behaviour or to manage a conflict situation.
- Specific knowledge of specialist service provision in behaviour management in your geographical area, and the ability to make appropriate referrals for your clients.
Last modified: Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 2:51 PM