Available support for fulfilling your role
At times you may find you need additional support in carrying out your roles and responsibilities or meeting the standards required.
There are a range of options available, for example:
- clarification of job roles and responsibilities
- training in particular skills or knowledge areas
- obtaining the advice and guidance of a workplace mentor or coach
- obtaining constructive feedback on your performance from a supervisor or somebody else
- obtaining the assistance of co-workers to manage your workload.
Delay in asking for support may have a negative impact on the clients with whom you are working, the organisation as a whole, or you personally, and it is unnecessary.
There are usually a range of avenues for obtaining additional support. These may include:
- informal discussions with your supervisor
- a request for additional support at an annual performance appraisal session
- a formal written request for support to the management of the organisation
- a request for additional support during a staff meeting
- a mentor from a professional network
- work colleague/s
- other specialists.
The method for requesting assistance will depend on the circumstances and urgency of need.